Who killed Sheena Bora? The shocking murder case that rocked India

Photo of author
Written By Drew Gomez






Sheena Bora, a 24-year-old executive working for Mumbai Metro One, went missing on April 24, 2012. She was never seen again. Three years later, in August 2015, the Mumbai Police arrested her mother, Indrani Mukerjea, a former media executive, and her driver, Shyamvar Rai, for allegedly abducting and killing her and subsequently burning her corpse.

Later, her stepfather, Peter Mukerjea, and her mother’s ex-husband, Sanjeev Khanna, were also arrested in connection with the case. The murder case, which involved a complex web of lies, deceit, and betrayal, shocked and fascinated the nation for years. Here is everything you need to know about the case.

The motive: A family feud over money and love

According to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which took over the case from the Mumbai Police in 2015, the motive behind Sheena Bora’s murder was a family feud over money and love.

The CBI claimed that Indrani Mukerjea killed Sheena Bora because she was furious over the relationship between Sheena Bora – whom she introduced to everyone as her sister – and Rahul Mukerjea, who is the son of Peter Mukerjea, her third husband.

The CBI also alleged that Indrani and Peter were involved in financial fraud and money laundering, and that Sheena Bora had threatened to expose them. The CBI also accused Peter of being part of the conspiracy, and of misleading his son Rahul about Sheena’s whereabouts after her murder.

The murder: A cold-blooded and calculated crime

The CBI alleged that Indrani Mukerjea planned the murder of Sheena Bora with the help of her driver, Shyamvar Rai, and her ex-husband, Sanjeev Khanna. On April 24, 2012, Indrani lured Sheena Bora to her car, where Rai and Khanna were waiting. Sheena Bora was then allegedly strangled to death in the car, and her body was stuffed in a bag and kept in the trunk. The trio then drove to a forest in Raigad district, where they burnt the body with petrol and dumped it in a pit.

The murder remained a secret for three years, until Rai was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm in August 2015. During interrogation, Rai confessed to his role in the murder, and revealed the names of Indrani and Khanna. The police then arrested Indrani and Khanna, and recovered the remains of Sheena Bora from the forest. The forensic reports confirmed that the remains belonged to Sheena Bora, and that she died of asphyxia due to strangulation.

The trial: A long and complex legal battle

The trial of the accused began in February 2017, in a special CBI court in Mumbai. The prosecution presented several witnesses and evidence, including phone records, emails, bank statements, and DNA reports, to prove the guilt of the accused.

The defence, on the other hand, challenged the credibility and reliability of the witnesses and evidence, and claimed that the case was based on circumstantial and fabricated evidence. The defence also argued that there was no clear motive for the murder, and that the accused were falsely implicated due to personal and professional rivalry.

The trial faced several delays and hurdles, due to the change of judges, lawyers, and witnesses, as well as the Covid-19 pandemic. The trial is still ongoing, and the verdict is awaited. The accused are currently lodged in different jails in Mumbai, and have pleaded not guilty to the charges.


Sheena Bora, a 24-year-old executive working for Mumbai Metro One, was murdered by her mother, Indrani Mukerjea, in 2012, in a shocking case that involved a complex web of lies, deceit, and betrayal. The case came to light in 2015, when the driver of Indrani, Shyamvar Rai, confessed to his role in the crime, and implicated Indrani and her ex-husband, Sanjeev Khanna.

Later, the CBI also arrested Indrani’s husband, Peter Mukerjea, for being part of the conspiracy. The CBI alleged that the motive behind the murder was a family feud over money and love, and that the accused planned and executed the murder in a cold-blooded and calculated manner.

The trial of the accused began in 2017, and is still ongoing, with the verdict awaited. The case has been one of the most sensational and intriguing murder cases in India, and has captured the attention and curiosity of the public and the media for years.

Leave a Comment